Financial Assistance Overview

There are a range of local financial resources available such as property tax assistance, income tax assistance, and Massachusetts Circuit Breaker. There are also state programs available such as fuel assistance and SNAP (supplemental nutritional assistance program).

The MA “Circuit Breaker” Income Tax Credit for Homeowners and Renters Age 65 and Older

The Massachusetts “Circuit Breaker” tax credit program is a program for adults age 65 + whose property taxes and half of the water and sewer bills are more than 10% of their annual gross income (or for renters, if their rent is greater than 25% of their income) and who meet a few other rules.  You can receive this income tax credit even if you owe no state income taxes! Also, you can get this refundable tax credit if you also receive a local property tax exemption from your town’s Tax Assessor. 

Who is eligible?

  • You must be a Massachusetts resident or part-year resident.
  • You must be 65 or older by December 31
  • You must file a Massachusetts personal income tax return.
  • You must own or rent residential property in Massachusetts and occupy it as your primary residence.
  • For the tax year, your total Massachusetts income doesn’t exceed:
  • $57,000 for a single individual who is not the head of a household.
  • $72,000 for a head of household.
  • $86,000 for married couples filling a joint return.

For help filing a tax return or amended returns for prior years, call your local council on aging at 978-443-3055 to schedule an appointment with a Volunteer tax aide.

To download the income tax credit tax forms-Form 1 and Schedule CB Form-go to the official Department of Revenue site at: . Or ask Council on Aging staff to print the forms for you.

Tax Work Off Program

Neil and Don at Put Take (2)Applications are now available for the Property Tax Work-off Program at the Sudbury Senior Center.

Eligible Sudbury seniors and veterans may be able to work in a Town Department and “earn” a tax abatement for the following year. This year, there are seniors and veterans working at the Town Clerk’s office, the Sudbury Senior Center, the IT Department, the DPW and the Sudbury Public Schools. They are particularly in need of workers at the Put ‘n’ Take for next spring. Veterans should submit a copy of their discharge papers with their application.

All applications should be delivered to:

Sudbury Senior Center,
Property Tax Work-off Program,
40 Fairbank Road,
Sudbury, MA 01776.

Should you have a question about the program, please call the Senior Center at (978) 443-3055 or email the center at [email protected].